Saturday 29 August 2009

Kunming 30-07-09

I booked my ticket to Jing Hong then went on the K5 bus to see where it went to. I noticed another Walmart off the main road, got off at the next stop and walked back. I couldn’t spot the sign again so I crossed over the road to see if I could see it from that side. I passed a theatre that said there was a Broadway musical on the night. It was called ‘The Dream of Yunnan’ and had been a smash hit in New York. I decided to come back that evening and try and get in.

The Walmart sign was visible from that side and was a huge one over four floors. Nothing in my size though – there’s a surprise. I bought a retractable tape measure just in case I should find anything that may fit, plus a small padlock for my suitcase. I decided to take off the packaging and leave all my rubbish there when I dropped the tape measure and it just fell to pieces. I casually picked it all up and put it in the bin then slunk off, hoping that no one had noticed!! Fat chance as I am the centre of attraction wherever I am.

I got back to the hostel about ten minutes before the heavens opened and got the washing in. The Chinese girl had been smoking in the room again as she didn’t expect me back then and she didn’t think I would notice. I finished my packing ready for the off next morning and got ready for the theatre.

I went back to the theatre for 7 pm and booked a seat. The theatre resembled a night club with tables facing the stage, with six to eight chairs at each. On the table were what looked like hands and when you shook them, they clapped. The Chinese were made up with them and just like big kids couldn’t stop playing with them. A couple of men lit cigarettes and were told it was not allowed for which I was very grateful.

The show started with an old man and his granddaughter returning to Yunnan. He’d been shot down during the war and had parachuted out of his plane, landing in Yunnan and he was talking of the happy times he’d spent there and how welcome the local people had made him. It was really corny but the music, costumes and sets were fantastic. At one time the young airman was ‘so happy he did a step dance’ – just like an Irish jig – totally inappropriate!

At half time it lapsed into pantomime as some members of the audience were dragged up to participate. I lost the plot a bit then as it was all in Chinese with no chance of any sub-titles.

Later on, the cast came out giving ‘drinks of friendship’ to the audience. One guy came right from the back and plonked himself on my table in front of me. I tapped him very politely on the shoulder and motioned him to move as I couldn’t see. He just shrugged me off. Wrong move. I tapped a little harder and he got the message.

Then there was the young boy who was showing people to their seats earlier. He stood there tapping the clappy hands and being a right nuisance. The Chinese are unable to be quiet for anything and mobile phones were going off all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers