Thursday 3 September 2009

Saigon 31-08-09

I got up early and walked to the War Remnants Museum, There were tanks, planes and helicopters in the grounds plus a replica of the ‘tiger cages’ they used to keep prisoners in. They were wire mesh boxes with barbed wire around them and no room to stand up or lie down. Inside were the details of the US war with Vietnam. Quite harrowing.

I walked around town and found the Saigon River but the traffic was too horrendous for me to attempt to cross the road for a closer look! I get taken by the hand by many people who are willing to help the poor old dear cross over!!!

01-09-09

I booked a Mekong Delta trip as it wasn’t too expensive. It took us nearly three hours to get to the river because of all the traffic leaving the city. We got a decent sized boat over to one of the islands where we were shown a beehive and how they got the honey out – not a mask or protective clothing in sight. We were all offered honey tea and hoenyed fruits then told the price of the products. I turned round to see the guide taking out a boa constrictor out of a glass cage and draping round a little Australian boy’s neck. He looked petrified but once we all started taking photos he calmed down. There was an even bigger on brought out. I touched it but no way was anybody draping that round me.

We walked through the jungle (well it was a tree-lined path) to a tropical fruit farm where again there were a lot of free samples. Next was a ride on a very small boat. I told them there was no way I was getting in one of them, even if it meant I had to stay on the island forever. It was quite a long drop down to the boat and there was about two inches of boat above the river and that was before I got in – so no it was not going to happen. The guide tooke me back to the village where he put me on the back of a motorbike. I think the small boat may have been a slightly better option! I survived and joined up with the rest of the tour. After lunch it was free time to walk or cycle to the village. I walked as far as the school, where the pupils were just starting the afternoon session but the traffic was as bad as in Saigon. It was unbelievable.

Most of us ont the tour opted to go back by speedboat. That was fantastic as we first went down the Mekong and then up another couple of connecting rivers until we got to the Saigon River. We were hoping to see the sunset but the rain came hammering down. It’s done that every teatime in Saigon. I got soaked going for the bus and then from the bus to the hotel. A shower and a change of clothes was all it took to feel better. The rain had stopped by then so I walked round to and Indian café where he advertised four vegetarian courses and a soft drink for 25,000 dong (29,000 to the pound). The beer was nearly as dear as the meal and it was really good. I didn’t fancy noodles and spring rolls again.

02-09-09

I went to the market to try to buy a couple of blouses at a price I was willing to pay as I hate haggling. Away from the tourist bit are the regular stalls with ‘fixed price’ notices. The same tops that the tourist bit wanted $17.5 for I got for $5 which I thought was a fair price. They will probably fall to bits after a couple of washings but what the hell, they were cheap enough. I decided to go to Dalat in the Central Highlands for a couple of days so booked a ticket through the hotel. It works out a bit dearer but transport to the bus station is provided then.

I had laundry which needed doing but it was Liberation Day and a holiday for most people so they all said the laundry would be ready the next day, which was no good. I remembered I’d seen one near the market that promised same day so that’s where I took it. I was supposed to pick it up at 17:30 but got held up. When I got there she was closed! Luckily there was a sign saying it could be picked up at the book store a few doors down. I’d had most of my clothes laundered so I would have been in a right pickle without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers